College Football DFS Week 5 Targets

If you need a College Football DFS appetizer before Sunday, I will be posting my DraftKings targets here each week for the afternoon slate. My goal every week, is to identify three to four low cost/reasonable floor targets as foundational pieces for all my lineups. This way, you start by boosting your remaining price per player in the range to roster as many high floor/high upside guys who we all anticipate substantial statistical output from. Here are the Vegas odds (favorites in bold) for the 10 games included in the afternoon DK contest:

Game Line Total
WVU@TTU 09/29/2018 12:00PM ET 3.5 77
[email protected]OU 09/29/2018 03:30PM ET 23.5 68.5
[email protected]UCF 09/29/2018 03:30PM ET 15 66
OKST@KU 09/29/2018 12:00PM ET 18 62
TA&M@ARK 09/29/2018 12:00PM ET 20.5 62
[email protected]BAMA 09/29/2018 12:00PM ET 49 65.5
[email protected]CLEM 09/29/2018 12:00PM ET 23 65
PUR@NEB 09/29/2018 03:30PM ET 3 56.5
UT@KSU 09/29/2018 03:30PM ET 8.5 48
[email protected]UGA 09/29/2018 03:30PM ET 31.5 53.5

For example this week, I am not going to come at you with hot suggestions like, Justice Hill and Will Grier. Speaking of Grier, with legit potential for both offenses to score into the 40s in Lubbock Saturday afternoon, Mountaineers and Red Raiders will be very popular plays for the afternoon slate. Rostering Grier, and Red Raider quarterback Alan Bowman in the same lineup, will leave your average remaining price per player at $4,850.

Since DFS relaunched college football, the value week to week is coming from receivers. In particular, freshman receivers who are still establishing roles, haven’t caught on yet among the fantasy masses, or–my personal favorite–as is the same with other fringe DFS sports, the DK pricing model has no clue what the fuck it is doing! Which brings me to my first suggestion, making it in this space for the second week in a row.

Justyn Ross I WR I Clemson $4,100

The true freshman wideout now has three touchdowns in his first four college games, and is grossly mispriced heading into their matchup as 23 point home favorites against the Syracuse Orange Saturday. All three scores have come off the arm of the newly announced starting freshman quarterback, Trevor Lawrence, who hooked up with Ross on touchdowns of over 50 yards the last two weeks.

(AP Photo/Mike Stewart)

This is certain to be a household QB/WR combo name over the next few seasons at Clemson. Their first multiple touchdown game is coming soon, and so is an increase in both their prices.

Isaac Zico I WR I Purdue $4,300

I discussed the upside of Purdue’s offense without the idiotic two-quarterback system last week, and the now full-time starter, David Blough, didn’t disappoint, hanging 296 passing yards, and three scores on the Boston College defense. Even though the cat is completely out of the bag on another freshman stud wideout Rondale Moore (price up to $8,200 from $6,900 last week), there is enough from this offense for multiple guys to produce each week.

Senior wideout, Isaac Zico, has rounded out as Blough’s second option the last two games amassing 184 yards on 10 grabs, and is the second highest targeted Boilermaker receiver this season according to NCAAsavant.com. A matchup this weekend against a struggling Nebraska defense provides a great opportunity for Zico to haul in his first touchdown of the season in this newly potent passing attack.

If you are looking to save budget at quarterback, I like both Blough and Nebraska’s, Adrian Martinez, here as mid level plays.

(Source: Kyle Rivas/Getty Images North America)

Zach Austin/KeSean Carter I WRs I Texas Tech $3,400/4,400

This duo was part of the post for the night slate last week, and returned solid value. Along with these two, Seth Collins at $3,700 are prime candidates to greatly outperform their price this week now that Tech’s 2-2A option in the passing game, T.J. Vasher, is reportedly unlikely to play.

This news also makes the Red Raiders a much more affordable stack in a week where their offense could produce upwards of six touchdowns. Playing all three in the same lineup is not out of the question at all.

(Photo by Roy K. Miller/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)

Tyron Johnson I WR I Oklahoma St. $4,900

Some other roster news this week was the transfer of Oklahoma St.’s second leading receiver in catches, Jalen McCleskey. That opens up a big door for Tyron Johnson, who already is second on the team in receiving yards, and has the pedigree for star potential in an expanded role moving forward.

Before transferring from LSU in 2015, Johnson was a five-star recruit out of New Orleans. He sat out all of 2016 as a red-shirt, then backed up eventual second-round Pittsburgh Steelers pick, James Washington, in 2017.

During their game against in state rival Oklahoma one year ago, Washington left with an ankle injury, paving the way for Johnson to drop a 4-118-2 line on the Sooners in a shootout loss. This weekend is the first chance he will get to gobble up McCleskey’s volume, and truly breakthrough against a Kansas defense that is softer than the NFL’s new roughing the passer calls.

Situation To Watch

The Texas Tech running back situation has all the makings of the world-famous, Bill Belichick and Mike Shanahan, backfields in the pros. If I had to pick one to go with this weekend, it would be senior, Demarcus Felton. The reason being, that he was the guy they leaned on last week in what was their first competitive game script scenario, where they were trying to close out a fourth quarter lead this season.

That said, head coach, Kliff Kingsbury, has been using terms and phrases like “hot hand”, and “no real plan” this season, so I’ll probably just be sure to include each one separately in a few of my 82 lineups Saturday like everyone else.

Good luck for the Week 5 afternoon slate! Follow me on twitter @realBobbyAdcock

All the trolling is welcome!