I raved about the depth of the 2B rankings when I covered them in roto and while the points format makes them a little more shallow by knocking down a couple of the power guys there are still 20+ options who are startable options. This is a position where good options just keep on coming and you should be able to find a player at any point in the draft meaning you can let the value come to you.
Currently we are going division by division as we preview the season having covered the AL Central, NL West and NL East.
Fantasy just got a whole lot better thanks to Monkey Knife Fight. With fast-paced games like Rapid Fire and Either/Or, it’s never been easier to play fantasy and win. New to MKF? Get Exclusive $100 Deposit Match + Free $5 Game
- There are a load of great options in the first round and the depth of this position actually hurts Jose Altuve’s value a little but with his all-round abilities if he slips beyond the 5th pick he is a virtual no brainer in any format.
- After Altuve I am not reaching for any of the top 12 guys because at some point the value will come to you and if it doesn’t then there is another tier of really nice options right behind them.
- I like the Dustin Pedroia through Howie Kendrick group in points but I would prefer they weren’t my starting second baseman, if I can avoid it. However, if using one of them means I have a lot of talent at other positions then in this format I can more than make do with that group.
- In a league with a middle infield requirement then I am looking to get one of the top 12 as my starter and then one of the Pedroia – Kendrick group as my middle infielder.
- The Jonathan Schoop through Javier Baez group come with upside but risk mainly in the form of strikeouts so I am probably trying to avoid that group if I can but if I am just shooting for big upside late I might gamble on one.
- The Joe Panik through Corey Spangenber group all have playing time concerns so if they go away then all of them could move up to join the Pedroia – Kendrick tier.