Sammie Coates – Auburn University
Height: 6’2″, Weight: 213
Comp: Terrell Owens
Dennis’ Scouting Notes
Fantasy just got a whole lot better thanks to Monkey Knife Fight. With fast-paced games like Rapid Fire and Either/Or, it’s never been easier to play fantasy and win. New to MKF? Get Exclusive $100 Deposit Match + Free $5 Game
- Outstanding athlete
- Good size for the position
- Can turn on the jets
- Strong against press coverage
- Willing to battle against physical corners
- Plays the game with a lot of passion and zeal
- Tracks the deep ball well
- Very explosive leaper
- Plucks the ball out of the air
- Extremely quick first step to put defenders on their heels as he breezes past
- Great blocker who initiates contact
- Nice run after the catch ability. His game is similar to Demaryius Thomas. Whichever team is lucky enough to draft him will have a real difference maker. He has great character and is a very hard worker.
Sammie Coates often has mental lapses that make you scratch your head. It can be frustrating to watch. He needs to learn to work back toward the quarterback, when the plays are not there. He doesn’t run the full route tree, but can develop as a pro.
Dennis Digs Deeper
Sammie Coates has as much upside as anyone in this class. There are reports that Coates has been clocked at 4.3 on a regular basis and it shows on tape. Coates has the ability to take one to the house anytime he touches the ball.
Kyle’s Instant Evaluation
Sammie Coates is one of the prospects I have soured on the most during the pre-draft process. Watching him during the season you can see him make incredible plays. However, in between amazing catches is a ton of frustration. Often times his hands are an issue. Either they don’t get to where they need to be, or the ball will simply bounce off of them. It’s tough to see a player with the physical ability of Coates not deliver consistently enough. He will have to prove he can make plays more consistently at the next level or he may not stay in the league long.