It is never to soon to start thinking about your fantasy season. And with all the coaching changes I am here to help. The second in this series will concentrate on Rex Ryan and the Buffalo Bills. For all us IDP fantasy football players, this is a good hire. For the Buffalo Bills, not so much.
Ryan is inheriting a team with a really good defense and a suspect offense. Sound familiar? For this time around Ryan has hired ex-San Francisco 49ers offensive coordinator Greg Roman to the same position.
For defense, Ryan has brought over Dennis Thurman from the New York Jets. That means gone is last year’s defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz.
So don’t bemoan the departure of Schwartz. Ryan has the defense under control. And here are five reasons why your IDP team will flourish.
Last year, $38.25 million was devoted to the offense, while $65.9 million was devoted to the defense. That money is still paying dividends.
Last year the Bills’ defense ranked fourth in total defense and third against the pass. They ranked 11th in run defense and fourth in points allowed. In 2014, they led the league with 54 sacks. The defense forced 30 turnovers. They had 19 interceptions and 11 fumble recoveries.
So even in a traditional fantasy football league you are looking toward the Bills’ defense with lust in your eyes. And for the IDP aficionados look no further.
1. Defensive lineman Mario Williams led the team with 14.5 sacks.
2. Defensive end Jerry Hughes is a free agent this year. Last year, Hughes was third on the team with 9.5 sacks. He led the team with three forced fumbles. IF Ryan and the Bills don’t get him during the free agent frenzy, it will be disappointing but not earth shattering. This defense is stacked.
3. Defensive tackle Marcell Dareus will be a free agent 2016. Dareus was second on the team with 10.0 sacks. And this year, Dareus will be playing for a big free agent payday. New coach and a chance for a big pay day, look for Dareus to ball out.
4. Linebacker Kiko Alonso will be back next season. In 2013, Alonso was the top tackler and interception leader. After a year out, look for Alonso to dominate.
5. Linebacker Preston Brown collected 109 tackles and one interception.
If there is one thing you can count on with Ryan is the defense will be good. And now that he is with a great defense. It is all good.
Now why it won’t be so good for the Bills.
1. The offense ranked 26th overall.
2.The Bills were 25th in rushing yards per game this season.
3. Kyle Orton retired. That means it is EJ Manuel or a player to be named later will run the offense.
Ryan’s record with poor offenses isn’t so great. And now he has enlisted the help of ex-49ers offensive coordinator Greg Roman. How did the 49ers offense do last season with better weapons?
Don’t count on the Bills being better than 9-7. But do count on the defense taking you to fantasy wonderland.
Follow me on Twitter @neverenoughglt