Devin Funchess – University of Michigan
Height: 6’5″, Weight: 230
Comp: Kelvin Benjamin
Dennis’ Scouting Notes
Fake Pigskin Exclusive: Join Monkey Knife Fight and Get an Instant 100% Deposit Match PLUS a Free $5 Game!
- Outstanding athlete a huge target with an amazing wingspan
- Ridiculous athlete who can make defenders look silly either by hurdling them or juking them out of their jock straps
- He plucks the ball out of the air and will be a red zone machine
- Adjusts to the ball really well
- Moves like a smaller guy at with his enormous frame
- Can climb the ladder and tower over out sized defensive backs when he wants to
Devin Funchess can be a physical force when he wants to. The problem is, he doesn’t always want to give the necessary effort. His hands can be an issue from time to time as well. Often times he will use his body to complete the catch which leads to far too may drops. For a guy his size, he tends to shy away from contact. He also tends to play smaller than his size, which helps defenders cover him more easily. He isn’t a guy who attacks the ball at the catch point either, which a major concern.
Dennis Digs Deeper
Devin Funchess is the ultimate match up nightmare. He is too big for corner backs and safeties and way too fast for linebackers. This should allow him to be a monster from the wide receiver spot, however a lack of focus and consistent effort is a concern for his success at the next level.
Kyle’s Instant Evaluation
Devin Funchess is the prospect that I have shifted on the most. He is a guy who frustrates me watching him on tape. He doesn’t attack the ball, especially for a guy of his size. His body does most of the catching for him, much like Vernon Davis. Funchess doesn’t have the speed Davis possess either. Funchess was injured in the game against Notre Dame. It seemed to bother him the rest of the season, which could be part of his inconsistent effort but doesn’t explain away his poor hands. I’m not buying Funchess in the NFL.