Fantasy Baseball: Early roto shortstop rankings

Nationals Trea Turner

This year there seems to be an interesting level of depth in the shortstop rankings. We have gotten so used to the position being a mess that we just take it as a given that it will be awful again. This year there is three tiers which I am happy to take from if the value is right and if that doesn’t come around then I am more than willing to gamble on the 4th through 6th tiers late in drafts. The position is an interesting mix of safety and upside and it even feels like there is more power at the position than ever before. The trouble with the explosion of power at the position is this has historically been a position for steals and that presents fantasy owners with an interesting strategy issue; forsake some steals for power here and try to find the steals elsewhere or load up on steals here and look elsewhere for power.

Looking at current free agents no one really stands out. Jose Reyes might be able to give you some steals and JJ Hardy will have his moments but in general there is no one changing the picture majorly at this position.

Closer to the season I will go deeper with my rankings but for now here is my top 20 ESPN eligible shortstop rankings.

Tier Rank Player Team Eligibility
5 18 Marcus Semien OAK SS
6 19 Addison Russell CHC SS
6 20 Tim Anderson CWS SS

7 Comments

1. Tim Maher

January 17, 2018 at 3:25 pm

No Andrelton Simmons? Wasn’t he a top 12 SS last year ???

• Ben Rolfe

January 18, 2018 at 12:48 am

Simmons might well end up top 12 again simply based on games played but he isn’t a great hitter. I’d rather gamble in the guys in this list on draft day because I think their opportunity and upside is higher

2. Jeffery Allen

January 18, 2018 at 12:39 am

This is a horrible list. Amongst many things, there is no way Cory Seager is a tier 2 SS. Didi is clearly a top 10 over two guys with questionable playing time (Marwin & A-Cab). And, it’s injustice not to have Arcia ranked in the top 10 after the second half he put up I. 2017. Rant over.

• Jeffery Allen

January 18, 2018 at 12:41 am

Typo- Top 20 for Arcia, not 10

• Ben Rolfe

January 18, 2018 at 12:59 am

These difference opinions is what makes fantasy great and my rankings are just my feelings. By all means tweak them how you see appropriate and I might even do that myself as we get closer to the season and projected lineups and playing time become clearer. Let me address the guys you mention:

first Seager: I like him but I don’t see his ceiling as what tier one can offer. Correa is simply better, Turner should steal a ton of bases which makes him valuable as hell and Lindor contributes better across more categories imo

I see marwin and as cab getting enough playing time that their upside is above didi. It wasn’t that long ago that didi was viewed as a defensive ss who couldn’t really hit. What’s to say we don’t see that version again?

Arcia was on this list as #21 and tiered with 19&20. For consistency I kept my list at 20. I can make a case for him above Russell and Anderson but equally half a years production doesn’t change the bad we have previously seen.

• Kevin

January 18, 2018 at 5:42 am

No Paul DeJong ? I guess I can agree that he needs to “prove it” but after hitting 38 HRs in 2017… I would think he breaches the top 20.

• Ben Rolfe

January 18, 2018 at 5:55 am

This is perhaps the one guy I think I have got “wrong” here. I didn’t trust my numbers enough. The numbers have him as a 25-30 HR guy but I kind of wrote that off as small sample size because until now I didn’t realise quite how many games he actually played in the majors last year. He could easily be top 15 when I redress these rankings in the next month or so.