- 2017 IDP DL Strength of Schedule
- Down on the Farm: Cody Bellinger Day
- Dynasty: Pre-Draft Rookie Rankings
- Making the Case for 1.01: Christian McCaffrey
- MLB DFS: 4/24 If Not, Then Who?
- Fantasy Baseball: Week 4 Waiver Wire
- Dynasty Zone Rookie Mock Draft
- 2017 IDP Linebacker Strength of Schedule
- Making the Case for 1.01: Corey Davis
- Fantasy Baseball: Week 4 Pitching Streamers
NFL 2016 Hello My Name Is Dirk Koetter And I am Here to Give Your Fantasy Team Some Love
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers surprisingly dismissed head coach Lovie Smith. They have now elevated offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter to the head coaching position. Okay, so this coup d’etat was not of the magnitude of say, the October Revolution. And of course it happened in January. But it is done and Koetter is now the head coach in Tampa. The important thing is how will it impact your fantasy team?
Head Coach: Arizona State University 2001-2006 Record 40-34
Offensive Coordinator: Jacksonville Jaguars 2007-2011
Offensive Coordinator: Atlanta Falcons 2012-2014
Offensive Coordinator: Tampa Bay Buccaneers 2015
Head Coach: Tampa Bay Buccaneers 2016-
Stats Tampa Bay Buccaneers 2015
5th in NFL in yards per game 375.9
5th in NFL in rushing yards per game 135.1
2nd in NFL in rushing average 4.75
- team set franchise record for total yards with 6,014/357.0 per game
- Quarterback Jameis Winston passing yards of 4042 were 2nd most in a singe season in team history and 3rd most by NFL rookie
- Quarterback Jameis Winston passed for 22 touchdowns while rushing for 6 touchdowns; most by Buccaneers quarterback
What Can Dirk Koetter Do For You?
When Koetter was offensive coordinator at Jacksonville:
Quarterback David Garrard’s first year as a starter. How did he do? Garrard’s first season as a starter he set a franchise record in passer rating. He also threw a league low three interceptions.
The team for his tenure there ranked third in the NFL in rushing yards
The team for his tenure ranked sixth in rushing average
The team for his tenure had the seventh fewest turnovers in the league
When he was offensive coordinator at Atlanta:
Matt Ryan posted the third highest passing yardage in franchise history
The team for is tenure ranked second in the NFL in completion percentage
The team for his tenure ranked fourth in passing yards
The team for his tenure ranked ninth in passing touchdowns
The team for his tenure ranked seventh in fewest turnovers
Koetter has stated he would be a more aggressive play caller in 2016. He has stated he wasn’t as aggressive as he wanted to be while serving as offensive coordinator.
In his less than aggressive season?
- Doug Martin was second in the NFL for rushing
- Charles Sims totaled 1090 yards from scrimmage; Sims averaged 6.9 yards per touch. That was the most by any player in the NFL with at least 150 touches since 2011; Sims also had the fourth most receiving yards by a running back last season, culminating in four touchdowns
- Quarterback Jameis Winston finished the season with 4042 passing yards, the second most in a single season in team history
- Winston also had 22 passing touchdowns and six rushing touchdowns, the most by a Bucs quarterback
This only means good things for your fantasy team. Last season the Bucs were in the middle of the pack in deep shot attempts. That’s a good idea. Winston showed promise. If you are looking for a quarterback, you could do worse. The question is, who will be on the receiving end? Mike Evans has mad skills. However, in 2015 Evans was targeted 148 times. Wanna guess how many receptions he had? Yep 74. He has a problem holding onto the ball. Against the New York Giants, Evans dropped six passes. That was the most passes dropped by a receiver in a single game in 10 years!
So we have confidence that Koetter will make this offense fantasy worthy. But we are on a wait and see pattern with Evans. Preseason should tell us where we want to draft him. Stay tuned we got you.
Next up Mike Mularkey.
Follow me on Twitter @neverenoughglt