You Won’t Believe What Tim Tebow Will Be Doing for the Eagles

Tim Tebow

It’s Tim Tebow. He’ll be keeping the media’s attention on the Eagles this offseason, and he’ll be inaccurately missing receivers high, wide, and low. As Gary Shelton put it:

He remains wildly popular.

He remains largely inaccurate.

He remains a polarizing subject.

If you are looking for Tim Tebow news, which is really more entertainment than fantasy football information, just be honest with yourself. You enjoy the TMZ-ification of the NFL. You enjoy the fanfare and the drama. You likely are waiting to see which player gets cut next for a criminal incident, and you’ll click on any article that promises to reveal which supermodel a top player is dating.

There is nothing wrong with that sort of fascination. Modern American media at least shows us that it is an incredibly common fascination. And Tim Tebow is part of it.

Tim Tebow, however, is not and should not be part of any serious fantasy analysis for the 2015 season.

Even if Sam Bradford isn’t healthy and ready for Week One, Tebow won’t be relevant. Mark Sanchez would step back into the Eagles’ starting quarterback role, which he filled for a significant part of 2014. And you know what? He was competent. He completed 64.1 percent of his passes last year, a rate good enough for 16th among quarterbacks with at least 300 attempts. He threw for 14 touchdowns in 8 starts. Although Jeremy Maclin left the Eagles in the offseason, there is still fantasy value to be had in the Eagles’ quarterback position.

It might be Sam Bradford, and it might be Mark Sanchez. Either way, it won’t be Tim Tebow. He’s not fantasy relevant, and he likely won’t be ever again in his life. And that’s OK.

6 Comments

1. Steg

June 2, 2015 at 9:31 pm

Shortsighted… :\

When Bradford is the starter, he will be good, Top 10 for sure.

If Sanchez is the starter, he will only really be consistently relevant in leagues starting two quarterbacks.

IF, a big IF mind you, Tebow is the starter, in Chip Kelly’s read-option, he will be fantasy-relevant every week as, win-or-lose, ugly-or-thrilling, he will consistently put up Top 10-ish numbers, love him-or-hate him.

• Joshua Lake

June 3, 2015 at 5:43 am

I suppose the shortsighted comment strikes me as a poor fit for your other comments. I agree with all the rest, for the most part.

Bradford has great potential, but I’m not willing to say he will certainly be a top-10 quarterback. I agree with your Sanchez take: like we saw in his past years, he can’t be relied upon week-in and week-out, even though he can put up good weeks.

As for Tebow, the big IF you mention is the point of this article. The essential point is that he won’t be the starter. He lacks the passing chops to become the starter over Bradford and Sanchez.

• Steg

June 3, 2015 at 2:38 pm

Thanks for the prompt reply, Joshua.

I take it to be the case that my shortsighted comment is a function of the spirit of the last sentence of your reply, which represents a sensibility your article is imbued with. In that last sentence, the “if” went from a “big IF” to “won’t”! There are SEVERAL scenarios which could lead to Tebow starting games, and there are even more which would have Tebow seeing extensive playing time, and, when he plays, he IS fantasy-relevant.

He does not have the passing chops, but he does have the second strongest arm on the team, is the far-and-away best runner and knows how to run the read-option, and Chip Kelly really wants to run a full-blown read-option, where, yes, accuracy, but also, moreover a strong arm, running ability and experience running the read-option are key. At the very least, Tebow is going to enter games and run some read-option, maybe to the tune of ten to fifteen plays a game, which comes with the added benefit of keeping Bradford off the gurney.

Heck, in a 2-QB or scoring-only format, it might be worth fielding the gadget OW/QB Tebow over a scab starting QB, and at this point in a dynasty or deep-keeper format or as a handcuff to Bradford Tebow is definitely worth rostering at the back end of a roster.

And, that “big IF” stands: if he becomes the starter, he catapults in fantasy relevance and value. Of course, your “won’t” closes off considering THAT possibility (I call that shortsighted). Thing is, I find it rarely advisable to close off possibilities in fantasy football, and, at any rate, my crystal ball does not work that well, so I guess I will leave open that possibility and consider it accordingly.

2. Joshua Lake

June 4, 2015 at 2:44 pm

Steg, I think your pushback is very fair. Honestly, this article was written as snarky weekend fluff, so I think our comments have exceeded the length of the piece itself!

You are quite right that the tongue-in-cheek belief that Tebow will never start is too definitive. I absolutely don’t believe he’ll start again in the NFL, but you are right that there are plausible scenarios where he could.

I disagree with you, however, on a few points. First, I don’t think we can say with certainty that Chip Kelly wants to run the read option. There are reasons to suggest he might, but what I have seen in Philly makes me believe he wants an accurate passer who can make quick reads from the line. Also, I strongly disagree with you on Tebow’s role. I don’t think that at the least he runs 10-15 option plays a game. I believe there are better odds he doesn’t make the team, sees fewer than 50 snaps all year, or grabs the QB3 spot but never sees the field.

I am with you on Tebow’s fantasy potential if he were named the starter anywhere, but I think we disagree on the likelihood he ever has an NFL role again. That said, your critique is spot on: my conclusion was too definitive, and there are certainly ways Tebow could theoretically become the Eagles’ starting quarterback.

3. Steg

June 4, 2015 at 9:16 pm

WOW, the wifey better watch out… I am in love! Don’t worry, Joshua, I am not some on-line nut-job. Well… ;D

Seriously, I just like to see civilized, well thought-out, reasonable feedback in a day and age where so little of it seems to exist (anywhere on-line). Read, happy customer! :)

I am in agreement/not in disagreement on your points of disagreement (if that makes any sense). :D There are a lot of ifs that go into that 10-to-15 snap count for Teebs that I proffer, and Chip Kelly’s ultimate dream was to run a full-blown read-option… WITH MARCUS MARIOTA. I just think that (a new and improved?) Tebow has more Mariota in him than you do. Fair enough point of difference. I could surely be wrong about that.

Now, to get a little nuts-and-bolts about it… In the deep-keeper (12 annual protections) GBRFL, in which we start, of relevance to my point at the moment (as it is coming down to a QB Tebow versus a RB), 2 QB’s and 3 RB’s, I see Tebow at the moment as my last (twelfth) protection. Here is the scenario…

QB’s – Peyton Manning, Ben Roethlisberger, Tim Tebow
    RB’s – Jonathan Stewart, Mark Ingram, LeGarrette Blount, Isaiah Crowell, Chris Ivory, Terrance West

I see myself definitely keeping four (here unnamed) receivers, two quarterbacks (obviously), (the first) five running backs (listed), and Tebow (over West). Would you not agree?

Alright, over and out, and, by the way, Joshua, feel free to drop by my old web site… I would relish having you drop by! :)

• Joshua Lake

June 5, 2015 at 2:40 pm

I suppose we’re all a bit nutty. We are spending hours studying a fake game, after all. =)

As to your particular keeper question, yes, I would disagree. I’m strongly of the opinion that Tebow’s chance to start is near-zero this or any year, so even if his upside is higher than West’s, I would prefer West for his likelihood to see touches. Particularly given that you’re keeping Crowell, I’d like to lock up 2/3 of that backfield rather than just 1/3.

In years past I have actually argued your point: that Tebow has a high weekly upside when he starts, because of his rushing ability, but I see two problems now. First, he is four years older than in his memorable Denver season, so it is possible his rushing skills and ability to absorb hits have both eroded.

Second, our disagreement on Tebow’s likelihood of starting separates us by quite a bit. I envision it like this: Say Tebow has a weekly upside of 20 points and West has 12 or 15. But I’d give Tebow a less-than-5% chance of starting a game this year, whereas West is above 50%. I would take the high percentage shot rather than the lottery ticket.

I like what you’re doing with your site. There’s some good thoughts on there. Message boards live and die based on the guys and gals you get to post on them, but you’re off to a good start. (Looks like it’s been around for years but just getting fresh legs in the last month.)