If you’ve been doing your due diligence with draft preparation, most likely you’ve come across numerous deep sleeper articles recommending everyone from Antonio Brown to James Brown as late round sleepers to target in your draft.
The problem is a good portion of the players being endorsed have ADPs (average draft positions) above round 10 and are not what I would label as late round flyers.
I’m going to assume most of you play in 10 or 12 team leagues with 16 rounds, so let’s concentrate on what value there is deep in a 16 round draft. Deep means the 12th round or later in leagues this size.
• Ryan Broyles – Detroit Lions: (ADP 10 team 13.10-12 team 11.10) Broyles has had an uphill battle recovering from two ACL tears in as many years, and is now rehabilitating trying to be ready for training camp. Broyles showed what he is capable of in week 12 last season snagging six receptions for 129 yards against a pretty stout Houston defense. But with Nate Burleson going into training camp almost 100% recovered from a broken leg suffered last season, Broyles will have to be healthy and have a good showing to hold him off and secure the number 2 spot.
• Chris Givens – St. Louis Rams: (ADP 10 team 15.03-12 team 12.11) The Rams drafted Brian Quick in the second round of the 2012 draft hoping he would quickly adapt to the NFL game, but fourth round pick Chris Givens was able to see more playing time than Brian Quick and out produced him by a wide margin. He was targeted 80 times, which is considerable for a rookie, and managed almost 700 yards receiving and three touchdowns. He has good chemistry with Sam Bradford and if he takes a step forward in his second year his upside is considerable.
• Golden Tate – Seattle Seahawks: (ADP 10 team 15.06-12 team 13.02) The acquisition of Percy Harvin in the off-season had Tate scratching his head wondering what his role would be. But according to head coach Pete Carroll there will be enough at the trough for all. Having scored seven total touchdowns and finishing strong last season Tate appears ready to take the next step, “Golden is really ready to be a terrific football player,” Carroll said, “We love what he does, and we just have to get him the ball more and spread it around to him”. With Tate out wide and Harvin attracting lots of attention from the slot, look for Tate to eclipse his 2012 targets, receptions and touchdowns in 2013.
• Rueben Randle – New York Giants: (ADP 10 team 16.01-12 team 14.04) I could rattle off Randles 2012 stats to influence you, but with only 19 receptions and 250 snaps from scrimmage, his inexperience could sway you the opposite direction. Having said that, he is very talented, has good size (6’3-210 pounds) and has an impressive team leading 15.7 YPC (yards-per-catch average). Offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride has been impressed with his performance at OTAs, “Oh, he is going to play -– he is going to play a lot,” Gilbride said. “He will play first and second downs. He will be an outside receiver for us. Whether he is at the ‘X’ or the ‘Z,’ he is going to play. He is looking like he deserves to be out there a significant time.” Convinced?
• Robert Woods – Buffalo Bills: (ADP 10-12 team 16.01) The Bills 41st overall pick in the 2012 draft sits number three on the Bills depth chart as a rookie. The USC product isn’t the biggest or fastest wide receiver ever drafted, but he has great hands, is a polished route runner, and at only 6’1 has great leaping ability. He will see plenty of playing time and if he can adjust to the physical play and speed that NFL defensive backs possess, he will help the Bills and your fantasy team this year, not next.
• Donnie Avery – Kansas City Chiefs: (Undrafted) The Chiefs finally have a legitimate wide receiver opposite Dwayne Bowe. Avery is a speedster who can get deep in a hurry and if he’s able to enter camp fully recovered from a high ankle sprain he has a good chance to emerge as a starter. With 60 receptions for 781 yards and three touchdowns last season and going undrafted in most every draft on earth, he is the quintessential late round lottery value. Don’t sleep on this one folks.
Bottom Line: There are two prerequisites these players need for success, talent and opportunity. The talent is there, and opportunity is smiling at them. Hopefully, for us, they’ll smile back.
Remember; “If you dare nothing, then when the day is over, nothing is all you have gained.” Stay calm, be flexible, stick to your draft plan, and don’t be afraid to take chances!
P.S. Our FakePigskin 2013 Draft Guide will be released on August 1st in PDF form for FREE! Simply go to our home page and sign up to receive it and our newsletter in the upper right corner right under our banner.
NFL Latest News
2014 NFL schedule to be released Wed at 8 pm ET
Wait no more, as the NFL will release the 2014 Regular Season Schedule on Wednesday at 8 PM ET.
Chris Johnson signs with Jets
Chris Johnson has agreed to a 2- year deal with the New York Jets. It is my guess he is on a trial basis, working on an incentive program. The quarterback situation is ambiguous, so the Jets look to lean on the ground game. Johnson will join Chris Ivory in the backfield in what looks to be another NFL platoon. CJ2k is an intriguing pick in fantasy land.
Andre Brown signs with the Texans
Andre Brown is headed to Houston to join the Texans. Brown is an intriguing player that saw his season derailed due to injury in 2013. As a back up to Arian Foster, he will have flex value certain weeks. Brown should see a decent amount of carries. Training camp will give indication on what the split may be. In addition he could see regular snaps if Foster were to miss any significant time, Brown would have tremendous value.
Value plays are a must in DFS. Here’s a few guys with low values on the up swing with values all under $5,400 on Draft Kings: Brian Roberts – $5,400 It can still be a Holiday with no Jrue! Over last 7 games 15PPG, 5APG, 2RPG, 1.5 SPG, & 2TPPG. Kent Bazemore – $3,200 2 games with new team. 16PPG, 2.5APG, 1.5RPG, 2SPG, & 1.5TPPG. In Mike D’s system expect numbers to climb. Kyle Singler – $4,100 Over last 7 games 12PPG, 4RPG, 1.5APG, 2SPG, while playing around 37 minutes a game. Thomas Robinson – $3,000 No Lamarcus means it’s Thomas time. February 23rd stat line. …
The State Of The Sixers
Don’t be scared by the big dump in Philadelphia, still tons of value which equal fantasy gold. Thaddeus ” The Beast” Young – $7,800 DK- Young has been a beast, averaging 60 fantasy points over last 2 games. Enough said! Tony Wroten – $4,700 DK- Tony very productive when he gets minutes. Over last 2 games he is averaging 20PPG, 3RPG, 3.5APG, & 1SPG. James Anderson – $4,100 DK- Over last 2 James averaging 11PPG, 2RPG, 3APG, & 1.5SPG. More minutes better numbers. Byron Mullens – $3,000 DK- Been riding pine in LA, conditioning inproves expect big things. In only 14 minutes on Feb …
Clay Buchholz struggled in Monday’s outing, lasting only 2 1/3 innings. He gave up six runs on seven hits, with only one strikeout. Buchholz has been somewhat inconsistent this year, he’s had two quality starts but two awful starts as well. Buchholz is looking to regain his form from a great 2013 season. He will look to bounce back Saturday against Toronto.
Hunter Pence continued to struggle on Sunday afternoon, going 0 for 3 with a strikeout. He is hitting .157 on the season. Pence could be dropped in the lineup or get a couple of days off to help him get back on track.
Martin Perez threw eight scoreless innings on Sunday against the Astros. Perez induced four double plays on Sunday, which helped his cause. He makes for a interesting spot starter for your fantasy teams depending on the matchup, but he is not one to count on. Perez is sporting a 2.70 ERA through three starsts this season.
Coming as a bit of a blow to Everton’s efforts to pass Arsenal for the 4th spot in the table and Champions League participation, manager Roberto Martinez announced Tuesday that Mirallas suffered a small tear in his groin muscle and will miss the remaining three fixtures in the season. The injury occurred in the defeat of Manchester United this past weekend as the forward limped off the pitch after the completion of the match. Martinez added, “Kevin being out for the rest of the season is a real disappointment because he was in a phenomenal moment of form.” Source: evertonfc.com
Petr Cech, Chelsea – GKP
Chelsea continued their quest in the Champions League on Tuesday earning a 0-0 draw at Athletico Madrid, but the result came at a cost. Cech was forced off the pitch in just the 18th minute after taking a hard fall on a corner. The club already has announced that Cech is set to miss the rest of the season with a dislocated shoulder. Also leaving with injury was John Terry, who is set to miss a month after limping off in the 73rd minute. A blow to Chelsea’s EPL title chase as they face Liverpool this Sunday. Source: chelseafc.com
David Moyes, Manchester United
Manchester United has announced that manager David Moyes will leave the club. United has already lost more matches this season (11) under Moyes than they had in the previous two seasons combined(10). The club said that Ryan Giggs, one of the more decorated players with United will manage the first team until a permanent solution at the position has been found. Source: manutd.com / @WhoScored
Tim Kennedy executed his gameplan to perfection and virtually dominated Michael Bisping in the Main Event of The Ultimate Fighter Nations: Bisping Vs Kennedy. The former U.S. Army sniper, ranked #8 at middleweight, can now look to move into possible title contention with his win over #5 ranked Bisping. Kennedy improves his overall record to 18-4, 3-0 in the UFC.
Patrick Cote Grinds Out a Win
Patrick Cote defeated Kyle Noke via Unanimous Decision in the Co-Main Event of The Ultimate Fighter Nations: Bisping Vs Kennedy. Cote served as head coach of the Canadian team on The Ultimate Fighter Nations: Canada Vs Australia. He runs his record to 20-8 overall and 7-8 in the UFC.
Elias Theodorou Wins The Ultimate Fighter Nations Middleweight Final
Elias Theodorou defeated Sheldon Westcott via TKO to win The Ultimate Fighter Nations: Canada Vs Australia middleweight final and secure himself a contract in the UFC. The win puts his overall record at 9-0 and 1-0 in the UFC